This guide is meant to help you install and get setup with the CoPilot application quickly and easily. IMPORTANT: If you have CoPilot v1.0, you MUST have developer firmware, or update the application.
Compatibility Requirements for FreeSkies CoPilot Application v1.2
Before beginning the CoPilot installation process, please make sure your mobile device and drone meet the following requirements:
Preparing Your Devices for CoPilot
- To install the latest public firmware on your DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced, or Inspire 1 and Intelligent Flight Battery:
- Go to the DJI Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 public firmware site.
- Download the BIN file for your drone on the page. (Please be sure to download the correct file)
- Once the BIN file is downloaded, move it into the root directory (the main folder) of your drone’s microSD card, which can be done in the following two ways:
- Plug the microSD card into your laptop and move the file onto the card
- Power on the Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 and plug the microUSB cable that came with the drone into the port on the Gimbal and hook it up to your computer, allowing you access to the microSD card, upon which you can move the BIN file onto the card. Once the file transfer is complete, turn off the aircraft.
- Ensure the Remote Controller is powered off and then power on the aircraft.
- When the drone is on, the aircraft will automatically begin to update, and the camera status indicator (LED on the gimbal) will blink green and red to indicate updating. NOTE: If the camera status indicator is a solid red at any point in the process, the firmware update has encountered an error, please try the update again and if it fails, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
- If you are Installing the firmware on the Inspire 1, you will hear a series of quick beeps in clusters of 4 (like ‘d-d-d-d’) while the firmware is updating, and the sound will turn into 1 slow beep followed by 2 quick beeps (like ‘d_d-d’).
- The process will take about 25 minutes to complete.
- Upon completion of the update, check the upgrade status by opening the “.txt” file generated after the update in the root directory of your microSD card. If the file contains the text: “result: successful,” the firmware was successfully updated. If the text shows: “result: failed,” please try the update again.
- To install the latest public firmware on your Remote Controller:
- Ensure the Remote Controller is charged to at least 50%
- Enter the DJI GO App and follow the instructions to update the remote controller firmware.
- It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the update, during which the controller must remain on, and it will indicate updating status by beeping and the status LED will be a solid blue.
- If the update fails, the status LED on the controller will turn solid red. We recommend trying the update again. If this fails, please contact us at email@example.com for support.
That’s all there is to it. Once you have the updated firmware, open CoPilot on your mobile device and use it the same way you would use the DJI Go App. Before you launch missions, be sure to turn on the controller, drone, and calibrate the IMU or compass if necessary. Happy Flying!